As early as 2000 BC, the Arabians and Egyptians used oats to beautify the skin. The ancient Greeks and Romans also documented the use of oat baths to heal skin ailments.
In 1945, a technological advancement facilitated the fine milling of oatmeal, which is commonly known as colloidal oatmeal. The innovation of fine milling allowed the wild oats to retain its naturally active benefits when added to various skincare products.
The composition of colloidal oatmeal is diverse, and includes polysaccharides (60%-64%), proteins (10%-18%), lipids (3%-9%), saponins, enzymes (such as the potent antioxidant superoxide dismutase), prostaglandin-synthesis inhibitors, flavonoids, and vitamins. All of these goodies work together to nourish your skin. The real star of the show however, is the Beta-glucan colloidal oatmeal contains.
Beta-glucan has the unique properties of being able to form a fine film on your skin as well as being able to penetrate deep into the skin. Thus it provides a protective layer while also providing much needed deep moisturizing to your skin. It also enhances wound healing and shallow abrasions, and naturally stimulates collagen deposition and activation of immune cells within the skin.
What other benefits are there to using oatmeal in skincare products?
- Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties and is perfect for most skin types, even the most sensitive skin.
- Oatmeal contains saponins, a mild cleansing agent.
- Oatmeal helps remove dead skin cells.
- Oatmeal can help treat acne, eczema, rosacea and rashes.
- Oatmeal can helps relieve symptoms of aging skin.
- Oatmeal is known to have good exfoliating properties and this will help to get out the daily toxins off the skin.
- It is also known to have skin lightening effects and thus it also helps to improve the skin tone and texture, and smooth out blotchy areas.
- Oatmeal repairs damage from other chemicals, such as alpha hydroxy acids, surfactants, and bleaches.
- It can help calm the skin.
- Oatmeal helps reduce pore size
We add Oatmeal to most of our bars!